Adapt to climate change and water resource management at community level (ADAPTS)
BEST PRACTICE IN:
Centre for Social Research and Development (CSRD)
Provincial Department of Natural Resources and Environment (DONRE)
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
• Draft a part of the provincial action plan on climate change adaptation and conduct mangrove planting activities on the shore of Con Te in Thua Thien Hue province (more than 4,000 Kandelia, Sonneretia casseolaris and Thespesia populnea mangrove species were planted in the pilot stage);
• Establish a management system under the Veteran Association that encourages the communities/residents to participate in mangrove planting; and
• Providing the residents with learning opportunities to protect and maintain the mangrove forests.
Over 127km-long coastline of the Thua Thien Hue province in central Vietnam is projected to be affected by rising sea levels. Natural disasters are expected to occur with increasing frequency and intensity in the area. Hue and its neighboring areas suffer from big floods every two to three years. The suggested adaptation method of building an embankment system impedes the landscape of Hue City and its coastal tourist areas.
Reduce the effects of climate change in Thua Thien Hue province
• To take climate change adaptation into account when working with local communities;
• To support selected local adaptation measures; and
• To play a leading role in facilitating dialogue between communities, researchers, and government authorities.
Mangroves provide not only protect the shoreline from floods and erosion, but also provides a habitat for various species, such as fish, mussels, oysters, shrimps, and crabs that thrive in the mangrove ecosystem, which can be a livelihood sources for local people.
The mangroves have grown well with a survival rate of about 90% (September 2010). 50% of the plants are 1.2m high and the roots have emerged from the ground.
Community participation is key to maintaining care for the mangrove forests.
Ms. Le Thi Hanh
Environmental Protection Agency
Department of Natural Resources and Environment of Thua Thien Hue Province
12 Le Loi St, Hue city,
Thua Thien Hue province, Vietnam
Le Thi Hanh. Mangroves for Climate Change Adaptation: The Case of Thua Thien Hue, Vietnam: http://beta.searca.org/kc3/index.php/rokdownloadables/adn-cca/290-no-2-vietnam/download